Music Therapy Information for Children with Special Needs
There have been so many studies on the effects of music and the healing properties it has on patients – whether the patients be mentally ill or have special needs and disabilities. No matter what age, music has a positive effect on overall health. Roselyn Marie full supports music as a form of therapy. If you are interested in reading about the studies, check out these websites:
- MUSIC THERAPY AND YOUNG CHILDREN (From the American Music Therapy Association)
- What is Music Therapy? - St. Louis Children's Hospital
- Music Therapy for Children with Special Needs - Newark Board of Education
- The Benefits of Music Therapy (from the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital)
- Music Therapy: The Health Benefits of Music
- How is music therapy used in Psychiatry?
- Music therapy helps patients cope with illness, regain health (from the University of North Carolina School of Medicine)
- Benefits of Music for Premature Infants
- American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) – this is the official organization paving the way in research of music in therapeutic forms to aid in special education, rehabilitation needs and other various cases. This website is the best place to start when looking for news, resources and information on how music therapy can help any illness.
- Music therapy for people with autism spectrum disorder. (this study was done by the US National Library of Medicine and the National Institute of Health. It’s a rather technical read, but so worth it!)
- Music Therapy for Healthy Children and Families (music therapy isn’t just for those with special needs!)
- Music Therapy from the Cleveland Clinic
- Patient Activities: Music Therapy | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Music as medicine - the American Psychological Association (love this article published in 2013 from the American Psychological Association. Research shows that music therapy can improve health amongst patients with many different ailments, from depression to premature babies!)
- Creative Arts Therapies - The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia – this study from the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, not only covers music as a therapeutic form, but other arts and creative therapies as well!